Most students progress routinely through their programme with no changes. However, if you do wish to or need to make changes you should discuss any problems or doubts you are experiencing with your supervisor in the first instance. We try to accommodate students who encounter changes or challenges and who may need to change their plan.

Transferring to another programme of study

You may wish to transfer to another programme of study due to changing academic interests or because you want to change the structure of your degree programme. Transfers cannot be guaranteed, and are dependent on you meeting the academic requirements of the new programme and there being space on your preferred programme. Transfers usually happen during or at the end of the first year of study, but if you are considering transferring, you should speak to your supervisor as soon as possible.

Leave of absence

A leave of absence allows a student to take an authorised break in their studies for a maximum of one calendar year in the first instance. This can be on a variety of grounds including medical or compassionate grounds. For more information on this, please see the University pages on leave of absence


Withdrawal is the term used when a student decides to leave the University permanently prior to completion of the award for which they are registered, whether for personal or academic reasons.  Students who withdraw any time after the end of their first year are often eligible for recognition of their earlier achievements through the award of a Certificate or Diploma of Higher Education.

Details about these options are available at:

For further support, visit Student Support in Market Square or visit:

Also see section on Assessment and Exceptional Circumstances affecting Assessment.


  • No labels