If you are dissatisfied with your experience of a service you have received as a student you should let us know.  In the first instance you should speak to someone within the department or service where the issue occurred.

If you are dissatisfied with their response, you can find more information on how to make a complaint on our website: york.ac.uk/students/help/appeals/student-complaints/

For information on academic appeals, see the Assessment section

  • No labels