Almost any student can apply to undertake a Placement Year. This offers you the chance to gain valuable work experience at a challenging level that will help prepare you for graduate jobs. There is an opportunity for you to pursue a Placement Year as part of your studies, receiving recognition within your degree title. This would be an additional year, which you would take between your second and third year of study and you would be supervised by the Careers and Placements team for the duration of this year.
Benefits of a placement year:
- increase your confidence
- opportunity to fast track to a graduate job
- try out the day to day of your future career
- put your skills into practice
- strengthen your academic performance
- build up your professional network
- strengthen your commercial awareness
You will need to find and secure your own placement and we (Careers and Placements) can help you through the selection and approval process. Full details about the Placement Year option can be found at york.ac.uk/careers/placements
For additional questions, please contact Cade McCall (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Start your search early – placement roles are often advertised a year before the placement start date so start looking for opportunities from the summer vacation after your first year.
- Register for the Placement Year – register between 1 September and 21 January of your second year (please note, this does not guarantee approval onto the programme).
- Get your placement approved – once you have got a placement, complete the approval form by 31 May.