Before You Login
Authentication on all IT Services supported Linux devices is via a newly implemented Kerberos authentication service. Kerberos manages is own list of users and passwords. We are able to populate users details into the Kerberos server but the passwords are not initially set.
If you have not changed your IT Services password since August 2013 then you must do so before you will be able to login on YARCC. All user password changes are manage via the My IT Account web page. Click on the Password Management (IDM) link in the Manage Your Password field to change your password. You may be given the option to 'synchronise' your password, please use this if you do not want to change your password. The password change (or synchronisation) may take a few minutes before it is visible to the servers.
Accessing Viking from Off-Campus
To access Viking from Off-Campus you need to install some software on your home PC or laptop. Please see the instructions Virtual Private Network - VPN on how to do this. Once you have the VPN installed go to the Web VPN Launcher page and select 'Start' in the 'Network Connect' field.
You can use the 'Home (M: Drive) option in the 'Files' option to copy files to and from your IT Services file store.
Access from a UNIX/LINUX or MAC desktop
To login from a terminal window, type the following from your local device:
If you require X forwarding, type:
You will be prompted for your IT Services password.
Accessing from a Windows desktop
In order for you to access Viking, and allow the programs you run to display on your Windows desktop, you will need two programs:
- PuTTY (PuTTY Website)
- Xming (Xming X Server for Windows Website). Info if this software is not currently installed: This software can only be installed on unmanaged machines if you have permission. If you need it installed on a managed machine please contact your DCO or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the Windows installation program from PuTTY Installer, run, and complete the installation. You should now have a PuTTY Icon on your desktop. Double click on it to configure PuTTY:
- Add the name "viking.york.ac.uk" to the 'Host Name' field
- Check the 'Connection Type' to SSH
- Type the name "Viking" in 'Saved Sessions'
- Click 'Save'
- Expand the 'SSH' tab from the 'Category' list
- Choose 'X11' from 'SSH' list
- Check 'Enable X11 Forwarding'
- Choose 'Session' from 'Category' list
- Click 'Save'
Download the Windows installation program from Xming Installer, run, and complete the installation accepting all the defaults. You may wish to install an Xming icon on your desktop or a Quick launch icon. You should now have a Xming Icon on your desktop. Double click on it to run Xming. Note: when Xming is running, you only see an 'Xming X Server' icon on the right hand side of your task bar.
Connecting to Viking
- Start Xming (if it is not already running)
- Start PuTTY
- Select 'Viking' from the 'Saved Sessions'
- Click 'Open'
A terminal window should appear. Login with your university username and password.
If you are successful this is what you will see.